1. Preheat oven to 400oF. In a large skillet over high heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add apple, pear and sugar. Stir to coat. Cook and stir until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
2. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Add onions. Cook and stir until onion is golden, about 8 minutes. Add Calvados. Deglaze skillet, scraping up any brown bits. Add apple and pear. Cook and stir until liquid is evaporated.
3. Remove skillet from heat. Add rices, pecans, thyme, salt and pepper and 2/3 of the cheese. Stir to combine.
4. Arrange squash rings in a single layer onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking oil spray. Brush inside and top rim of squash with syrup. Mound fruited rice mixture in center of squash rings. Pour 2 Tbsp. water in bottom of pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
5. Bake 45 minutes. Brush top of squash with syrup again. Bake uncovered 15 additional minutes or until squash is soft when pierced with a knife. Top with the remaining cheese.
Bake until cheese is slightly melted, about 3 minutes.
TIPS: for an equally delicious result use ¼ cup of Apple cider instead of Calvados.