1. Brush potatoes under running water and place in microwave-proof bowl half filled with luke warm water and cook on high for 6 mins in their skins. Alternatively you can boil the potatoes on the stove top in a pot filled with water for approximately 18mins on high.
2. Remove the rind (outer surface) from the cheese. You will need a sharp knife to remove the rind. Once the rind is removed slice 2mm thick slices (thinner if preferred) from the block using a knife or wire cheese slicer. Place on a serving dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
3. Arrange gherkins, onions and salami/ham on a platter and set aside until required.
4. When ready to serve, set table and place raclette grill in the centre of your table and placed cooked potatoes on top of raclette grill in metal bowl or saucepan with lid to keep warm and place gherkins, onions and cheese on table.
5. Turn raclette grill on to begin to heat up (takes only a minute or two). Each guest takes a slice of cheese, places it in their pan and slides it under the raclette grill to melt. It takes approximately 2 mins to melt to a creamy consistency and 3 mins for a more crispier top. In the meantime take a potato, place onto your plate and cut it into a few pieces and take out the pan from under the grill once it's reached it's preferred consistency and hold the pan onto its side to scrape the cheese out using your wooden spatula. Non- stick pans will allow the cheese to just slide off.
6. Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.