1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Cut the slices of ham in two. Put a piece of ham on each piece of bread.
3. Peel the pear and cut into quarters. Remove the seeds and cut each piece into thin slices. Put them onto the bread.
4. Remove the rind from the Le Coutances and cut into slices. Divide among the pieces of bread. Add a dash of pepper.
5. Put the garnished bread onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and bake for 3 min. or just until the cheese starts to melt.
6. Slice the endives and put into a salad bowl.
7. In a smaller bowl, mix the vinegar and olive oil. Season with pepper. Toss the endives with this mixture.
8. Sprinkle the bread slices with paprika as soon as they come out of the oven. Serve immediately with the endive salad.
Tips: If you don't have this specific vinegar, use red vinegar.
To save time, you can use canned pears. Drain them well and rinse under running water.