1. Put the best 4 cabbage leaves aside and cut the others into strips.
2. Cook the strips in boiling water for 2 min., then drain, saving the water.
3. Rinse cooked cabbage under running water.
4. Reheat the water and add 1 teaspoon of coarse salt. Boil the cabbage again for another 10 min.
5. In the meantime, peel the apple and cut it into thin slices. Remove the Le Coutances’s rind and cut the cheese into thick slices.
6. Drain the cabbage when it is done. Spread out the uncooked leaves.
7. Put a piece of ham and some apple slices onto each one. Add the cooked cabbage strips.
8. To finish, add Le Coutances slices. Roll each leaf around the ingredients and secure with a wooden skewer. Arrange on a plate.
9. Cook the rice according to package instructions and drain if necessary.
10. Put rice into individual moulds and place on plates. Reheat the cabbage rolls for 2 minutes in the microwave and serve with the rice.
Tips: Cooking the cabbage twice helps to eliminate its characteristic odor: the first boiling eliminates the sulfurous compounds responsible for the smell.
To save time, you can use instant rice.