* Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add the macaroni and cook about 8 to 10 minutes, or until just tender, depending on the size of the pasta. Drain.
* Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. When the butter is melted and sizzling, stir in the flour to create a paste and cook 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Let cook about 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the grated Parmesan and the
goat cheese, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* Use the olive oil to grease the bottom of a medium size gratin or baking dish, about 8 to10 inches long. Place the drained macaroni in the dish and pour the cheese sauce on top, stirring gently to coat all the macaroni.
* In a small bowl, make the topping. Mix the Parmesan, breadcrumbs, thyme, and pepper. Spoon over the macaroni and top with the goat cheese.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the pasta is hot.
* Serves 4 to 6.