* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 2 2/3 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
* 2 tsp. packed brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
* 3/4 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
* 2 Tbsp. good quality port or balsamic vinegar
* 2 large baking potatoes, about 1 1/2 lbs.
* 1 cup pre-shredded carrots
* 1 large egg white
* 9 oz. Charles Arnaud Comté cheese, shredded, divided (2 1/2 cups)
* Heat butter and 2 tsp. of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook stirring occasionally, until softened, 10 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook until golden brown, stirring more frequently to prevent sticking, 8 minutes. Add the port and cook until liquid has evaporated, 1-2 minutes.
* Meanwhile, peel and shred the potatoes using a mandoline or box grater. Squeeze excess liquid from potatoes and place in a medium bowl. Add carrots, egg white, 1 cup shredded Comté cheese, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper; toss until combined.
* Heat 1 Tbsp. of oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Using a scant 1/4 cup each, drop potato mixture into about 8 mounds and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon to 3" diameter. Cook until golden and crisp on bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip latkes; top each with 1 Tbsp. Comté cheese, 1 tsp. caramelized onions and 1 additional tsp. Comté cheese. Cook until latkes are tender and crisp, 3 minutes more. Serve hot.