* 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 Tbsp. Flour
* 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
* 1-1/2 cups milk
* 8 oz. Fol Epi® semi-soft cheese, shredded, divided (2 cups)
* 1/4 tsp. Salt
* 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper smidgen ground nutmeg smidgen cayenne pepper
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 1 lb. each fresh green and yellow summer squash, thinly sliced (4 cups each)
* 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
* pinch fresh ground black pepper
* 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
* 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
* Preheat oven to 375°F. Place green squash in medium bowl, add 1/4 tsp. salt, ground pepper and 1 tsp. olive oil, and mix well. Place on nonstick or greased foil-lined sheet pan, and repeat process with yellow squash. Roast for 30 minutes, and cool on pan.
* Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. In a medium saucepan, cook and stir onion in 2 Tbsp. melted butter until tender, about 1 minute. Stir in flour and thyme. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden, about 3 minutes.
* Using a wire whisk, add milk a little at a time, stirring constantly after each addition. Reduce heat to low. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne and eggs.
* Spoon half the cheese sauce into a medium bowl, add green squash and stir to coat. Spread mixture into the bottom of a greased 9”x9” pan. Repeat with yellow squash and spread that mixture over top of green squash mixture.
* Melt remaining butter in a small skillet and stir in breadcrumbs. Add remaining cheese, and sprinkle mixture on top of squash. Bake 35 minutes until brown and bubbly. Makes 8 cups.