* 4 cups canola oil
* 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
* ½ cup all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* ¼ tsp. salt
* 1 Tbsp. sugar
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1 cup whole milk
* 3 oz. Chaumes® cheese, crumbled
* Heat canola oil in medium saucepan over medium heat until a thermometer reads 375°F.
* In mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix egg and milk together thoroughly.
* Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture, whisking to prevent lumps. Stir the cheese into the batter without over-mixing.
* Drop batter by heaping tablespoons into the hot oil without overcrowding the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, turning once to ensure even browning. Remove from oil and let drain on paper towels. Serve warm.