* 6 slices firm whole wheat sandwich bread
* 4 ounces smoked deli turkey, thinly sliced
* 4 ounces Comté cheese, thinly sliced
* 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or thyme, crushed
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup milk
* 2 teaspoons butter, divided
* On two slices of the bread, evenly divide turkey and half of the cheese; cover with two slices of the bread; layer with tomato and the remaining cheese; sprinkle with the herbs; top with the remaining bread slices.
* Cut sandwiches diagonally in halves.
* In a bowl, whisk together egg and milk. In a skillet, over medium heat, melt 1 teaspoon of the butter.
* Dip sandwich halves in egg mixture; saute until golden on one side, about 2 minutes.
* Add the remaining 1 teaspoon butter; turn sandwiches and brown on second side, and on cut and crust edges.
To make hors d'oeuvres, cut sandwiches in quarters before dipping and browning.