* 4 cups coarsely grated Comté cheese
(about 1 pound)
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 cup dry white wine
* 1 tablespoon Kirsch (optional)
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
* In a small bowl, toss Comté with cornstarch.
* In a small heavy saucepan, combine wine, Kirsch,lemon juice, nutmeg and pepper; bring to a boil.
* Arrange asparagus on top like the spokes of a wheel; bake until center is set, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with Comté.
* Reduce heat tovery low; whisk cheese, one quarter at a time, into mixture.
* Cook and stir just until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5minutes.
* Serve with chunks of French bread.
To reheat: Cook and stir over low heat until the fondue is hot. If it is too thick, stir in a little wine.