- Anco Fine Cheese, one of the leading distributors and marketers of specialty cheese, today announced the winners of its “Ile de France® Recipe Contest.” Cheese connoisseurs – from weekend wine enthusiasts to die-hard aficionados -- were asked to submit their favorite recipe featuring Ile de France® Brie or goat cheese among three categories. One Grand-Prize Winner and two First-Prize Winners were named in each category from 15 Finalists. Among the Grand Prize Winners is an accountant from Texas and relative newcomer to recipe contests, as well as a Bay-area (CA) homemaker who is a seasoned winner of more than 600.
• Appetizers Category/Grand Prize
Southern Grilled Green Tomatoes with Goat Cheese
Recipe by Mike Trantham of Allen, Texas
• Gourmet Salads & Sandwiches Category/Grand Prize
Apple Brie Slaw with Spicy Walnuts
Recipe by Roxanne Chan of Albany, CA
• Main Courses Category/Grand Prize
Roman Holiday Cous Cous Timbale with Goat Cheese Gratin
Recipe by Elaine Sweet of Dallas, Texas
The following were named First-Prize Winners:
• Appetizers Category
Warm Red Cabbage & Brie-Filled Belgian Endives
Recipe by Bonnie Overton of Cary, North Carolina
Fig and Brie Pizza
Recipe by Janice Elder of Charlotte, North Carolina
• Gourmet Salads and Sandwiches Category
French Countryside Picnic Burger with Brie & Fire Roasted Tomato and Leek Confit
Recipe by Patricia Harmon or Baden, Pennsylvania
Warm Steak Mushroom Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
Recipe by Candy McMenamin, Lexington, South Carolina
• Main Courses Category
Brie-Stuffed Pork Chops with Pomegranate Glaze
Recipe by Julie DeMatteo of Clementon, New Jersey
Big Brie au Bleu Burger
Recipe by Lillian Julow, Gainesville, Florida
The Grand Prize Winners receive a weekend of cheese tasting, wining,
dining and entertaining in New York City, including round-trip coach
airfare, one night accommodations in a four-star hotel, wine and cheese
tasting at an acclaimed French restaurant and tickets to a Broadway
show. First–Prize Winners receive a set of wine tasting accessories.
Each contestant receives a set of Ile de France® product coupons.
Judging took place on September 21 in New York City and was conducted by industry professionals in a blind tasting. Entries were judged based on flavor; taste; best use of cheese ingredient; clarity, completeness and accuracy of recipe; originality; gourmandise and eye appeal. The winning recipes can be found on the Ile de France Web site, www.iledefrancecheese.com.