Home Cheese how to
Take a classic pairing to a gourmet level with stuffed tomatoes.
Stuffed tomatoes look great and taste even better. They are easy to make and can include all your favorite cheese and toppings.
Let your imagination be your guide in stuffing tomatoes, as fromages ranging from Ile de France Brie to Bleu d'Auvergne pair splendidly with juicy tomatoes.
Stuffed tomato tips
- Slice off the very bottoms of each tomato so they can be set on a plate and not roll.
- Then slice off the tops your tomatoes to create the serving vessel. You'll want to scoop at least a bit of the insides to replace with your fromage mixture.
- If featuring a stronger cheese like a bleu, try leaving a bit more of the inside of the tomato intact. For milder cheeses like blue, remove more of the tomato and serve with a heartier cheese filling to maximize flavor.
- If using cherry tomatoes, flip them upside down after removing the bottom so they won't roll while you add the filling.
- Refrigerate stuffed tomatoes in a sealed container or cover in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
Basic Cheese Filling for stuffed tomatoes
This simple cheese filling recipe can be served with virtually any fromage and goes especially well with Ile de France goat cheese, Brie cheese and hard cheeses like Fol Epi. For more involved recipes, see below.