You surely know that April 1st is April Fools’ Day. But did you know that it’s also the start of National Grilled Cheese Month?
Actually we don’t know if it is a real holiday because there is no official source of information. Is it a real government sanctioned commemoration? A campaign of cheese marketers? Or just a myth?
Wherever it comes from, grilled cheese indeed has a great history with its origin in the 1920s when inexpensive sliced bread and cheese became easily available. Grilled cheese sandwiches became popular during the Great Depression as people were short of money.
Nowadays, those sandwiches can be found in many creative ways on our restaurant menus.
For many of us it is a staple of childhood. Don’t you remember your mom making grilled cheese sandwiches as a quick and easy afternoon snack? Wasn’t it one of the first meals you cooked by yourself because it’s just so easy to make? We think that everyone of us has it’s own personal grilled cheese history.
So, why not devote a whole month to one of America’s most popular meals? You can participate in this culinary celebration by making one of our original gourmet grilled cheese recipes:
– Garlic “Toasted” Mini Grilled Cheese
– Hot Turkey Grilled Cheese
– Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Apple & Walnut
– Gourmet Grilled Cheese and Ham
– Cabbage & Carrot Cole Slaw Grilled Cheese
– Grilled Bacon & Brie Sandwich
– Grilled Camembert and Apples Sandwich
– Grilled Cheese Panini with Caramelized Onions
– Ham, Brie and Pear Panini
– Pesto and Brie Grilled Cheese