June is National Dairy Month and we’re celebrating with some fun facts about our favorite kind of dairy…CHEESE! It’s true that France leads the world in cheese consumption, but we know that here in the U.S., cheese is a national favorite as well, with iconic recipes like mac and cheese. Dairy is the number one agricultural business in many states, with California being the state that produces the most milk — 21 percent of U.S. production!
Did you know…
- Cheeses have always been produced in the shape of a wheel to make transport easier. Rolling is the easiest way to transport since some cheeses are hundreds of pounds!
- A cow is more valuable for it’s milk, cheese, butter, and yogurt, than beef
- The most popular cheese recipe is the United States is “macaroni and cheese.”
- There are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses.
- At the Congress of Vienna in 1815, brie earned the nickname “Queen of Cheeses
Enjoy National Dairy Month, cheeselovers!